Academic Quality Assurance
The Monitoring and Evaluation Unit (MEU) is the office charged with setting and fulfilling the University’s strategic objectives and ensuring that quality standards are met throughout. Such standards are maintained by utilising a uniform structure in which all academic departments meet a certain benchmark of quality as well as sustained academic and institutional development.
The MEU’s primary role is to ensure the successful implementation and maintenance of the aforementioned developmental framework, constantly assessing and appraising every department to ensure that standards are met. Furthermore the MEU champions a spirit of self-assessment at the personal as well as the institutional level of academia. The MEU is, at its core, a data driven department, using evidence-based assessment to implement change in conjuncture with the Institutional Research and Information Procedure Units.
For more academic quality assurance documents and templates, please see below:
Institutional Effectiveness Manual
The institutional effectiveness manual (IEM) demonstrates and documents the institutional quality standards, processes and procedures developed by Birzeit University (BZU) to ensure its commitment to maintaining quality education while fostering continuous improvement of its provisions and outputs. The IEM provides a list of assessment standards that underpin the university’s academic quality enhancement and institutional effectiveness. It provides clear procedures, processes and guidelines to those involved in the academic quality enhancement and in the institutional effectiveness. The manual takes into account the requirements of the Accreditation and Quality Assurance Commission (AQAC), the Palestinian national agency, for licensure, re-licensure, accreditation, re-accreditation.
The manual is aligned with international criteria if and when external accreditation for existing academic programs is pursued. It also meets the minimum threshold requirements to pursue international certification for quality management systems for any interested department.
Related University Laws and Regulations
- Procedure for developing new academic programs leading to one of the degrees awarded by the university
- Procedure for developing new Professional Diploma programs 2017
- Regulations and for granting a bachelor's degree (AR)
- Instructions for granting a Bachelor Degree 2009
- Instructions for granting a Master and a Higher Diploma Degree
- Instructions for granting a PhD
- Teaching Instructions
- Academic Council New Program Guidelines
Internal Quality Templates
Supporting Materials for Academic Staff
- Recommendations for the advancement of the higher education sector
- Palestine National Education Priorities
- Quality Assurance Manual for Arab Universities 2017, issued by the Council of Quality Assurance and Accreditation, Association of Arab Universities
- ISCED fields of education and training
- Quality Improvment Fund (QIF) Newsletter
- Licensure and Accreditation Manual 2015
- Licensing and Accreditation Manual 2018 (Ar)
- New Academic Program Application (Ar)
- Program Specification (Ar)
- Degree Requirements (Ar)
- Self Evaluation for Active Programs Gulidlines (Ar)
- Guide to the development of vocational and technical education and training curricula (Ar)
- AQAC Policies and Instructions (Ar)