Khalid Swaileh is a professor of Biology at the Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry and currently the Dean of the Faculty of Science. He was born in 1966 in Qalqilia and graduated from its schools in 1984.
Prof. Swaileh obtained his PhD degree in “Environmental Biology” from the University of Kiel/Germany in 1995. He earned his MSc degree in “Ecology and Marine Biology” from Yarmouk University/Jordan in 1990. His BSc in Biology (major) and Environmental sciences (minor) was attained from Yarmouk University/Jordan in 1988.
Prof. Swaileh joined BZU in 1995 and served as a chairman of the Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry from 2000-2003. He is interested in studying the Palestinian Environment and published about 30 papers in international journals. Besides, Prof. Swaileh represented BZU in many scientific conferences and workshops. He is currently a reviewer for more than 20 international research journals.
In Reviewed journals/Books:
1. Abdulkhaliq, A., Swaileh, K. M. (2016).
Physico-chemical properties of multi-floral honey from the West Bank, Palestine, International Journal of Food Properties, DOI: 10.1080/10942912.2016.1166128
2. Ezzughayyar, A., Swaileh, K. M. (2014).
Archaeozoological analysis of molluscan fauna from the Late Bronze Age stratum of site 4 of Tell Jenin (Northern West Bank, Palestine). Pp 195-202. In: Archaeomalacology: Shells in the Archaeological Record. Eds. Katherine Szabó, Catherine Dupont, Vesna Dimitrijevi?, Luis Gómez Gastélum and Nathalie Serrand. BAR S2666 2014. ISBN 9781407313085.
3. Swaileh, K. M.*, Barakat, S. O., Hussein, R. M. (2013).
Assessment of in vivo-induced genotoxicity of wastewater to albino rat. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology. 90 (5): 621-625. DOI:
4. Swaileh, K. M.*, Abdulkhaliq, A. (2013).
Analysis of aflatoxins, caffeine, nicotine and heavy metals in Palestinian multifloral honey from different geographic regions. 93(9): 2116–2120. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.6014.
5. Abdulkhaliq, A., Swaileh, K. M*., Hussein, R. M., Matani, M. (2012).
Levels of metals (Cd, Pb, Cu & Fe) in cow’s milk, dairy products and hen’s eggs from the West Bank, Palestine. International Food Research Journal. 19 (3): 1089-1094.
6. Hussein, R. M., Swaileh, K. M*., Al-Sa’ed, R., Roest, K. (2012)
Use of molecular techniques for the analysis of foam-causing bacteria in Al Bireh oxidation ditch, Palestine. International Journal of Environmental Studies. 69 (1): 91-101. DOI:10.1080/00207233.2012.619379.
7. El-Sayrafi, O., Daghra, G., Hussein, R., Swaileh, K. M*. (2011)
Physico-chemical and microbial assessment of Ramallah municipal dumpsite, Palestine. International Journal of Environmental Studies: 68:4, 509-518. DOI: org/10.1080/00207233.2011.582725.
8. Daoud, A. K., Swaileh, K. M*., Hussein, R. M. Matani, M. (2011)
Quality assessment of rainwater harvested through roof catchment systems in the West Bank, Palestinian Authority. Journal of Water and Health: 9 (3): 525-533. DOI: 10.2166/wh.2011.148.
9. Abdallah, T. Swaileh, K. M*. (2011)
Effects of the Israeli Segregation Wall on biodiversity and environmental sustainable development in the West Bank-Palestine. International Journal of Environmental Studies: 68:4, 543-555. DOI: org/10.1080/00207233. 2011.608504.
10. Swaileh, K. M*., Abdulkhaliq, A., Hussein, R., Matani, M. (2009).
Distribution of toxic metals in organs of local cattle, sheep, goat and poultry from the West Bank, Palestinian Authority. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination Toxicology: 83 (2): 265-268. DOI: 10.1007/s00128-009-9704-x.
11. Swaileh, K. M*. Hussein, R. M., Al Sae’d R. M. and Abu Heleu R. (2008).
Health risks from microbial growth and biofilms in drinking water distribution systems in Palestine (pp 489-496). In: Sustainable Development and Management of Water in Palestine. Aliewi, A., Assaf, K., Jayyousi, A., Eds. House of Water and Environment (Palestine) and UNESCO Cairo Office (Egypt). Pp 568.
12. Swaileh, K. M*. Hussein, R., Ezughayyar A. (2008).
Evaluating wastewater-induced plant genotoxicity using randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD). Environmental Toxicology: 23(1): 117-122. DOI: 10.1002/tox.20316.
13. Swaileh, K. M*., Matani, M., Hussein R. (2006).
Heavy metals in urban roadside plants from Amman-Jordan. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination Toxicology: 77 (3):445-450. DOI: 10.1007/s00128-006-1085-9.
14. Swaileh, K. M*., Sansour R. (2006).
Monitoring urban heavy metal pollution using the House Sparrow (Passer domesticus). Journal of Environmental Monitoring: 8:209-213. DOI: 10.1039 /B510635D.
15. Swaileh, K. M*., Hussein, R. Abu-elhaj, S, (2004).
Assessment of heavy metal pollution in roadside surface soil and vegetation from the West Bank. Archives of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology: 47(1): 23-30. DOI: 10.1007/s00244-003-3045-2.
16. Swaileh, K. M*., Hussein, R., Halaweh, N. (2002).
Metal accumulation from contaminated food and its effect on growth of juvenile landsnails Helix engaddensis. Journal of Environmental Science & Health: B37(2):151-159. DOI:10.1081/PFC-120002987
17. Al-subu, M. M., Salim, R. Abu-shqair, I.,Swaileh, K. M. (2001).
Removal of dissolved copper from polluted water using plant leaves: I. Effects of acidity and plant species. Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental: 17(2): 91-96.
18. Al-subu, M. M., Salim, R., Braik, H., Swaileh, K. M. (2001).
Removal of dissolved copper from polluted water using plant leaves: II. Effects of concentration of copper, plant leaves, competing ions and other factors. Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental: 17(3): 123-127.
19. Swaileh, K. M*., Rabay'a, N., Salim, R., Ezzughayyar, A. Abed Rabbo, A. (2001).
Levels of trace metals and effect of body size on metal content of the landsnail Levantina hierosylima from the West Bank- Palestine. Journal of Environmental Science & Health: A36(7): 1373-1388. DOI:10.1081/ESE-100104885
20. Swaileh, K. M*., Rabay'a, N., Salim, R., Ezzughayyar, A., Abed Rabbo, A. (2001).
Concentrations of heavy metals in roadside soils, plants and land-snails from the West Bank, Palestine. Journal of Environmental Science & Health: A36(5):765-778. DOI:10.1081/ESE-100103759
21. Swaileh, K. M*., Ezzughayyar, A. (2001).
Dose-dependent effects of dietary Pb and Zn on feeding and growth rates of the Landsnail Helix engaddensis. Ecotoxicology & Environmental Safety: 50(1): 9-14. DOI: 10.1006/eesa.2001.2051.
22. Swaileh, K. M*., Ezzughayyar, A. (2000).
Effects of dietary Cd and Cu on feeding and growth rates of the landsnail Helix engaddensis. Ecotoxicology & Environmental Safety. 47: 253- 260. DOI: 10.1006/eesa.2000.1961
23. Swaileh, K. M*. (1999).
Arctica islandica in Kiel Bay: body parameters, shell length-meat weight relationship and seasonality in flesh weight and condition index. Irbid Journal for Research and Studies 1(2): 35-49.
24. Swaileh, K. M*. (1996).
Seasonal variation in the concentrations of Cu, Cd, Pb & Zn in Arctica islandica (Mollusca: Bivalvia) from Kiel Bay, Western Baltic. Marine Pollution Bulletin: 32(8-9): 631-635. DOI:10.1016/0025-326X(96)00026-4.
25. Swaileh, K. M*., Adelung, D. (1995).
Effect of body size and season on the concentration of Cu, Cd, Pb and Zn in Diastylis rathkei (Crustacea: Cumacea) from Kiel Bay, Western Baltic. Marine Pollution Bulletin: 31(1-3): 103-107. DOI: 10.1016/0025-326X(94)00258-B.
26. Swaileh, K. M*., Adelung, D. (1994).
Levels of trace metals and effect of body size on metal content and concentration in Arctica islandica L. (Mollusca: Bivalvia) from Kiel Bay, Western Baltic. Marine Pollution Bulletin: 28 (8): 500-505. DOI: 10.1016/0025-326X(94)90524-X.
27. Swaileh, K. M., Mesmar, M. N. & Ismail, N. (1994).
Heavy metal concentrations in common freshwater snails of Azraq Oasis, Jordan. Hydrobiologia. 286: 167-173. DOI: 10.1007/BF00006248.
*: Leading/corresponding author.
In conferences & workshops:
1. Swaileh, K. M. (2014). Environmental Education (EE) in the Higher Education System in Palestine. (H2020 CB/MEP): Implementation of the Mediterranean Strategy on Education for Sustainable Development in Palestine", Palestine (Ramallah), 19-20 October 2014.
2. Swaileh, K. M. (2012). Wastewater management in the Campus of Birzeit University. "Re-visiting University Curicula linked to H2020 priority areas" Athens, Greece, 12-13 December 2011.
3. Swaileh, K. M. (2011). Renewable energy and environment in Palestine. Seminar on renewable energy, environment and hygiene. Nanchang, China, April, 28th-May, 18th. 2011.
Swaileh, K. M. (2005).
Inula Viscosa: a possible biomonitor for urban metal pollution on a regional basis. Regional workshop on desertification, 20-21 June, Yarmouk University, Irbid-Jordan.
4. Swaileh, K. M. (1999).
Current status of the Palestinian Mediterranean Coasts. MedGOOS Conference, Rabat, 1-3 November.
5. Swaileh, K. M. (1996).
Seasonal variation in the relationship between metal content and body weight of Arctica islandica from Kiel Bay, Western Baltic. Third International Conference on Trace Metal Pollution in The Marine Environment. Aarhus, Denmark, 16-20 May