The Center for Continuing Education (CCE) at Birzeit University is a community outreach arm of Birzeit University. Since its establishment in 1991, CCE specialized in the development, testing, and dissemination of innovative and localized models and methodologies that generate best possible results in local fragile context. As a community outreach arm of the University, CCE is in direct contact with the various sectors of the society: local, national and regional civil society organizations, as well as the private and public sectors. As such, CCE is in tune with the needs and challenges that need to be addressed. At the same time, and as an arm of the University, CCE has access to the wealth of resources the university has to offer, yet CCE is not bound by the academic structures of the University. This has positioned CCE a dynamic and responsive center constantly engaged in exploration and innovation - able to adapt quickly and respond to the quickly changing landscape on the ground.
The mandate of CCE is not limited to the external community. CCE is also engaged in extra and co-curricular programs within the University community that serve to empower students and also link them with the community outside. The B-Hub and MASARI are two such programs currently under-way.
Today, the mandate of CCE is becoming critical than ever before. As new technologies like Artificial Intelligence, robotics, virtual reality and others are likely to lead unprecedented unemployment, worsening an already grave employment situation, the need for new ways of learning (across the entire educational spectrum), professional development, training and re-training is going to be an absolute essential requirement for youth, professionals and organizations to survive – and hence critical for the wellbeing of the entire society. CCE is placing a significant effort and emphasis on this.
CCE seeks to build the capacity of institutions and local communities to be able to achieve their goals effectively and efficiently through the design, development and implementation of high quality innovative and holistic models and programs in areas of organizational development, educational reform, community empowerment and wellbeing, based on full understanding of the developmental reality and within the framework of cooperation and partnership with specialized entities to achieve a lasting impact.
- Innovation in Development
- Continuous learning
- Impact driven
- Relevance to the local context
- Relevant to Future of work
- Design based research
- Life Skills and Citizenship Education
- Technology as an effective enabler in development
- Empowerment, participation, inclusion, teamwork
- A holistic approach including wellbeing, global citizenship and responsibility
What we are accountable for?
- Local educational system is capable of graduating knowledgeable, creative, and passionate for their society and the environment; youth who can drive local economy and lead social changes towards prosperous Palestinian state.
- Birzeit University students have an enriched learning experience as entrepreneurs or through projects linking them to the community and the outside world – giving them the chance to innovate, grow, support their communities and/or start their business.
- Local communities are capable to support wellbeing of all their members including the poor, people with disabilities, women, youth, and children.
- Local private companies are competitive in the local and regional markets, offer quality products to their clients, constantly growing and creating new jobs for Palestinian youth.
- CCE is Specialized in the development, testing, and dissemination of innovative and localized models and methodologies that generate best possible results in local fragile context
- Innovative, professional and highly qualified staff able to design and implement unique and leading developmental strategies based on international best practices but tailored to the Palestinian and Arab context.
- Mission-driven interventions: CCE’s interventions are directed by the University’s Mission. Our interventions are driven by the constantly-examined needs of beneficiaries and partners, and thus are highly relevant and result-oriented
- Accumulated knowledge capital: For each type of services offered and models developed and applied, CCE has designed a unique implementation methodology documented in a package of manuals, training materials, templates, and forms. This (1) allows replication of models effectively, and efficiently; (2) Maximizes the quality of implementation through utilizing existing knowledge and building on it; (3) facilitates quick capacity building for new staffers; (4) minimizes the dependency on external consultants (where the local capital is quite limited).
- High growth rate: during the last 3 years, the number of projects implemented annually has increased significantly – the majority of these projects have had a strategic dimension to the beneficiaries, and at the same time most of these projects built significant knowledge and assets which supports future work.
- Unique organizational culture that provides the flexibility and enabling environment for CCE team members to design, create, innovate, implement and constantly learn – the results of which are clearly reflected in CCE’s products and services
- Financial Stability: CCE is a financially self-sustaining unit. All CCE expenses are covered through project work and other services offered by the Center. CCE does not receive any budget from the University nor core funding from donations. This has made CCE highly efficient, and highly attuned to the quality of services and the needs of the beneficiaries.
- Project Management: CCE has an effective project management and administrative support system that allows CCE able handle the large volume of work/projects in an efficient and effective manner.
- Experience: The center has long and well-renowned experience and knowledge in the areas of our specialization.
- Brand: CCE carries a very strong brand and reputation (over and above that of Birzeit University). CCE is generally considered the leader in Palestine in areas of our specialization.
- Strong relations within the Palestinian Society: The Center has very good relationships and networks with various institutions within the Palestinian society: Public sector, NGOs, Private sector, local government, etc. As an arm of Birzeit University, CCE is well regarded for its neutrality, integrity and reputation which facilitate cooperation, partnerships and networking with the various Palestinian leaders and institution.
- Highly regarded amongst the international community: The Center is highly regarded and respected amongst the international community for our professionalism and quality of services
- Unique programs: CCE today is focusing on strategic programs and services that are unique and “sophisticated” – an approach that is complex, and involved but expected to have a national strategic impact. B-Hub, xLOBs and MASARI are examples.
- Facilities: CCE has very high-quality facilities. They are maintained well and provide a good image to the Center and the University.
- Transparency and accountability of performance: CCE operates in a highly transparent and accountable manner. The decision making process within the Center is carried out in a participatory manner (through a management team), and in close consultation with the staff. A knowledge management system provides all relevant information about all CCE operations within access to all relevant stakeholders. As part of Birzeit University, audited financial reports, regulations and bylaws are publically available.