Many individual faculty members and staff were recognized locally and internationally for their excellence in scientific research and publications merit, during the years 2014 and 2016:
- Dean of Faculty of Arts and professor of linguistics Mahdi Arar, and professor of economics Nidal Sabri won Kuwait Prize Awards for 2014. The prize is bestowed by the Kuwait Foundation for Advancement of Science to Arab scientists in the fields of basic sciences, applied sciences, economics and social sciences, arts and literature and Arab and Islamic scientific heritage.
- Philosophy and cultural studies Professor Sonia Nimr’s book Wondrous Trips to Strange Places was classified as the best adult literature in the Arab world at the 2014 International Book Fair in Sharjah, UAE.
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering assistant professor Abual-Seaud Hanani won a Google grant of $31,000, for his project entitled "Studying the impact of various Arabic dialects on the recognition of automated Arabic text."
- Computer Science Professor Mustafa Jarrar has won Google’s Faculty Research Award (2016) in the field of natural language processing.
External Competitions Awards:
The Fourth Conference for Innovation:
The Mechanical Engineering Department and Mechatronics Department won three awards at the fourth Conference of Innovation at the Polytechnic University. The Projects were supervised by Dr. Ahmad Abu Haniyeh and Dr. Mohammad Al- Qarain.
Arab Innovation Network Award:
An electronic wheel chair that was invented by Birzeit University Students won the third prize in the Arab Innovation Network Award which was held in Abu Dhabi- UAE. The projects were supervised by Dr. Hussein Amr.
“Imagine Cup 2015”:
Birzeit University got the first place among the Arab world Competition “Imagine Cup 2015”, in the category of technological innovations, organized by Microsoft Corporation in the Bahraini capital Manama. The project was supervised by Computer Engineering Professor Wasel Ghanem.
Distinguished Professor Award
Birzeit University honors its teaching faculty who have consistently demonstrated outstanding achievements in the areas of teaching and mentoring of students, research and creative endeavors and any other activity that have brought distinction to Birzeit University.
- Abdelrahim Mousa- Professor at the Mathematics Department- Faculty of Science(2016/2017)
- Johnny Stiban- Chairperson of the Department of Biology and Biochemistry-Faculty of Science (2016/2017)
- Yasid El Rifai- Chairperson of the Architectural Engineering Department (2015/2016)
- Wafa’ Al- Ramahi- Faculty of Education (2014/2015)
- Tina Rafidi- Teaching Faculty Department of Languages and Translation (2013/ 2014)
- Grace Khoury- Dean of Faculty of Business and Economics (2012/ 2013)
- Registrar Khaled Al-Tukhaman (2011/ 2012)
Employee of the Year Award
The annual Employee of the Year Award is presented to Birzeit University staff in recognition of and appreciation for their exceptional job performance and distinguished contributions to the campus community.
The winner receives an award after a competition held between the nominees, based on certain terms and conditions:
- Full-time employees are required to apply.
- All calssified university staff employees, who have been employed with the university for a minnimum 3 years, may be nominated for the award.
- Employees must have clean behaviroal record during their service to the University.
- Nominees must have “Very Good” evaluation records at least for the last three years of their employement.
- Employees who are committed, can work under pressure, collaborate with the team and have distinguish contributions to the university are encouraged to apply.
Employee of the Year Winners:
- Manal Shaheen- Assistant Accountant at the Institute of Community and Public Health (2016/2017)
- Haitham Yaseen- Technical Assistant/ General ٍSafety Section (2015/2016)
- Mounir Saad -Mechnical Engineer (2014/ 2015)
- Jamal Tmeizeh- Administrative Assistant atFaculty of Engineering and Technology (2013/ 2014)
- Ghada Al Omari- Voluntary Work Coordinator (2012/ 2013)
- Lubna Abdel Hadi- Director of Public Relations Office (2010/ 2011)
- Jamal Tmeizeh- Administrative Assistant at the Faculty of Engineering and Technology(2009/2010)