BZU Fosters Ties with Alumni in Second Annual Graduate Reunion
Birzeit University held its second annual reunion for graduates on Saturday, December 15, 2012 at Kamal Nasir Hall.
The now-regular event seeks to foster communication and ties between the university and its graduates, and to invigorate university partnerships with alumni at home and abroad as ambassadors who have contributed and continue to contribute to building the Palestinian nation. By meeting with the graduates, BZU seeks to strengthen the ties among the graduates themselves and between them and the university in addition to building a sense of belonging and loyalty to the university. Birzeit President Khalil Hindi addressed the graduates, emphasizing their crucial role in advancing the university and contributing their ideas, knowledge, and expertise to develop its programs, and also as goodwill ambassadors in all arenas. “Great universities are great because of their graduates,” he told the large audience, “and Birzeit University is included in this measure, since there are graduates among you who are leading professionals, leaders in opinion, thought and policy, and others are bright academics, entrepreneurs, businessmen, innovators, creative artists and distinguished researchers.” 1947 graduate Rima Tarazi shared with the attendees her experiences at Birzeit College from the days when she was a music student and a member of its choir. Later she became a music teacher and a composer working directly with Kamal Naser, whose death affected her gravely. Naser, a Birzeit graduate, was assassinated by Israeli soldiers in West Beirut in 1973. Tarazi called on graduates to stay in constant communication with the university and always check for updates. Irtijal Lil Musiqa troupe entertained the graduates with two singing segments and a short documentary produced by the Advancement Office, which included cameos from graduates from all over the world. Graduate Saleh Dawabsheh also emceed contests that the audience participated in. Birzeit University was established first as an elementary school in 1924 before being expanded into a university. Its more than 24,000 graduates have played a crucial role in shaping events in the Palestinian arena.