Birzeit students claim top places in local engineering competition

Awards - Students

Birzeit University students won first and second place in the Speak Out for Engineering Competition, which was held by Institute of Mechanical Engineers’ Birzeit University Student Chapter on Saturday, September 22, 2018.

Faris Al Jamal, a mechanical engineering student at Birzeit, took first place in the competition, which included a monetary prize of 300 pounds sterling, an official certificate from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers, and an invitation to represent Palestine in the Europe-wide competition this October.

The second place was awarded to Bayan Abu Salameh, also a Birzeit University student, who also received an official certificate from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and 200 pounds sterling, while the third and fourth places went to Mohammad Yameen and Suhaib Abdulhadi -  respectively - two engineering majors at An-Najah National University. 

The competition, held for the third consecutive year in Palestine, requires participants to submit a short technical essay - a maximum of 200 words - on an engineering-related topic, which is then presented to the panel of judges.

Both the essay and the presentation have to be in English, with 90 percent of the final points awarded on the presentation style and the remaining 10 percent of the points awarded to the content of the essay.

The panel of judges comprised Ameer Sider, Adel Dweik, and Jamal Sobaih from Birzeit University, and Ihab Alsurakji and Mahmoud Asad from An-Najah University.