Mission: Developing the skills of professional working in the fields of water and environment through education, training, and research in the framework of local and international partnerships utilizing optimal practices.
Vision: A distinguished center of excellence for water and environmental education, research, and training in Palestine and the Mediterranean region.
In line with the vision and mission of Birzeit University, (IEWS) aims at achieving several strategic objectives by contribution to the solution of the water and environmental problems in Palestine through appropriate academic programs, quality research, and training programs.
- develop academic programs that graduate specialists in the water and environment sectors.
- Conduct applied research projects in the fields of water and environment inspired by the local needs of Palestine.
- develop capacity building programs that ensure continuing learning.
- Build partnerships, networking and communication, with local and international institutions including the private sector.
- Provide consulting services and training programs for water and environment institutions.
- (1994-2000), was the beginning of establishment initiated as a training program and capacity building for water sector workers in cooperation with the Dutch academic institutions such as the UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education. In the same period Master of “Engineering and Water Sciences program” was developed.
- In 2001, the Institute of Water Studies was established with the aim of alleviating many challenges in the fields of water and environment in Palestine.
- In 2007, the name was updated to the Institute for Environmental and Water Studies (IEWS).
The Institute for Environmental and Water Studies is therefore the fruit of the ongoing collaboration between Birzeit University and the UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education in the Netherlands. In addition to academic programs, IEWS is involved in the development and implementation of several research projects and technical consultations with local and international funding.
- In 2015, the Institute won the title of “Center for Excellence in Water Studies” by the Scientific Research Council - Ministry of Higher Education-Palestine.