Founded in October of 1991, UNIMED, the Mediterranean Universities Union is an association of universities from the countries of the Mediterranean. It includes 103 partner universities from 23 countries of both shores of Mediterranean.
UNIMED’s aim is to develop university research and education in the Euro-Mediterranean area in order to contribute to scientific, cultural, and social and economic cooperation. UNIMED acts in various fields: tangible and intangible cultural heritage, economics, and energy, and environment, management of water resources, transports, health, media, new technologies, history, and tourism. The image that better represents our association is that of a university without walls.
Training for academic and administrative staff of universities, particularly for the external relations personnel. Through the many initiatives carried out over the two decades, UNIMED has promoted the collaboration between universities of the Mediterranean, becoming a point of reference of international university cooperation.
UNIMED carries out the following activities in favor of the associated Universities
- Promotion of the international aspect of universities
- Planning and fund-raising activities: information on call for proposals and opportunities offered by international and European commissions, partnership search, technical assistance, planning dissemination
- Promotion of mobility in the Euro-Mediterranean region, for students, researchers, and academic staff
- Technical assistance for the enhancement of quality assurance in university education
- Creation of thematic sub-networks to foster scientific cooperation within specific fields
- Organization of meetings, discussions, seminars, and round tables both at nationally and internationally