Main Library

 

The BZU Main Library was established in 1924 when the Birzeit School was founded. The present Yusuf Ahmed Alghanim library building, was opened in 1985. The Main Library is an open stacks library. The collections include over 145149 print volumes, (40% are in Arabic Language, and the rest are in other languages),  The Library also holds 1965 Print periodical titles of which 249 are current, 3857 pamphlets, 235 manuscripts, 60 video cassettes, 38 databases on CD-ROMs, 1035 Master theses, 998 Phd dissertations, 12 student researches, 71 Brill books, 88328 electronic books, 3 newspapers, 38 microforms, 34451 electronic periodicals, 10 tablets, and 81 textbooks. It has access to 74 electronic databases of which some are accessed both by subscription and free.

The Main Library is a depository library for the UNESCO publications since 1979, and was selected in 2005 as a regional center for World Bank publications.

The library uses the Minisis (M2L application) computer system for patrons to access the on-line catalog. In 1998, the Birzeit University main library was appointed as the regional resource center in Palestine for the Minisis software. The automated circulation system, built on the Oracle Database Management system, was introduced in March 1999.

The BZU Main Library's Web page was developed to enable researchers' access to valuable electronic resources.

BZU library has a continuous coordination between the Main Library and branch libraries regarding technical issues. This will unify the searching techniques for the benefit of all library patrons.

Among the services that the library offers are: Reference, information, remote, online, scanning and photocopying services .

Departments

 

    Copyright © 2016 Birzeit University