English Language and Literature
The Minor in English Language and Literature introduces students to the symbiosis between language, literature, and culture. It builds on advanced English language skills through select courses in linguistic theory, literary analysis, and academic writing. It complements other majors offered at Birzeit University.
- To enhance understanding of language through linguistic and literary theories and analysis.
- To develop reading, writing, and speaking skills in English, particularly for academic purposes.
Knowledge and understanding:
- Recognize ways that literature and language can be representative and critical of the contexts of their production.
Subject specific and practical skills:
- Construct interpretations of texts.
- Employ research skills necessary to locate, use, and cite sources effectively.
General and transferable skills:
- Communicate ideas and arguments orally and in writing in English.
Students from various disciplines who Minor in English Language and Literature enhance their chances of employment in their fields of specialization through the written and oral language skills gained in the Minor. The Minor complements BA degrees in other languages and literatures, as well as a variety of fields in the humanities, social sciences, and business and administration.